Musing Mondays (hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading) asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
This’ll cover a lot of ground. I probably should have saved this list as writing prompts for future Musing Mondays.
1. Favorite childhood book? Lost on a Mountain in Maine
2. What are you reading right now? Unwholly by Neal Shusterman
3. What books do you have on request at the library? None (Much to the chagrin of my “favorite librarian)
4. Bad book habit? Not giving up on books I dislike.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library? None – see Q. 3
6. Do you have an e-reader? The apps are on my devices, but not a dedicated e-reader, as such.
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once? One at a time. My brain can only handle so much.
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog? Not really. I have started blogging about reading more, however.
9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far)? M. Butterfly by David Henry Hwang
10. Favorite book you’ve read so far this year? Red Shirts by John Scalzi
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone? Not often. But, I am getting better at it.
12. What is your reading comfort zone? Mystery/Suspense
13. Can you read on the bus? Yep…haven’t in years, but I can read in moving vehicles.
14. Favorite place to read? Tim Horton’s or on my couch…either way coffee is involved.
15. What is your policy on book lending? Only people I trust to bring them back.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books? Nope…I have really nice hand-made bookmarks (Thanks, Sis!)
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books? Nope
18. Not even with text books? Haven’t touched one of those in years!
19. What is your favorite language to read in? English
20. What makes you love a book? If it tells me a great story. It doesn’t have to be full of flowery prose. Just entertain me.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book? If it sticks with me.
22. Favorite genre? Suspense/Mystery but, I am enjoying Sci-Fi, Steampunk & Distopian books more and more.
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did)? Biography
24. Favourite biography? Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
25. Have you ever read a self-help book? Once, years ago – Iron John
26. Favourite cookbook? The Betty Crocker one my Mom still has to this day.
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)? The Heart & The Fist by Eric Greitens.
28. Favorite reading snack? Reese’s Pieces & Coffee
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience. Interview with a Vampire (Double Yawn!)
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book? Rarely
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews? I feel fine. Everyone has an opinion.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose? Spanish
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read? The Bible for content…for size Under The Dome by Stephen King.
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin? War & Peace HAHAHA! Cliche, I know!
35. Favorite Poet? Chaucer (I loved The Canterbury Tales when I read it years ago)
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time? Ummm, None..see Q. 3
37. How often have you returned books to the library unread? Again…Q. 3
38. Favorite fictional character? Stu Redman (The Stand)
39. Favorite fictional villain? Lord Voldemort
40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation? Something light & funny
41. The longest I’ve gone without reading. Since the early 90’s, maybe a week.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish. I can’t remember the name of it. That’s how bad it was.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading? The internet
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel? The Harry Potter Series (All of them)
45. Most disappointing film adaptation? The Stand
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time? Couple hundred bucks. To be fair, most of that was for Christmas gifts…most, not all…MOST!
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it? Not very…mostly just the cover synopsis.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through? If it bores me.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized? Only the ones I am going to keep
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them? The only books I keep are my Stephen Kings and some of the history books I really like.The others I bring to my sister for her library’s on-going book sale.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding? One word – TWILIGHT!!
52. Name a book that made you angry. Imperial Cruise. I finished it, but I have no tolerance for that Aryan crap.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did? Room by Emma Donoghue
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t? Imperial Cruise
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading? Graphic novels.